Holy Grail Day!

Webster Marble formed Gladstone Mfg. Co. in 1892. That company created the first folding Axe in 1893 which lead to the incorporation of Marble's Safety Axe Co. in 1898. The company became Marble Arms & Mfg. Co. in 1911 & enjoyed years of success until succumbing to a shut down of production in 1974. The brand was brought back to life in 1994 & enjoyed a grand rejuvenation that later gave way to another shutdown in 2009. Many great knives & tools were crafted over the company's storied history.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Holy Grail Day!

Post by Ridgegrass »

I've wanted one of these since I got serious about knife collecting over 40 years ago. Found it today in Lewes, DE. Not perfect but a nice survivor and a good price. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_7059.jpg
IMG_7060.jpg
IMG_7062.jpg
IMG_7063.jpg
IMG_7064.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Holy Grail Day!

Post by treefarmer »

Wow! That's quite a find!
I only got to hold one of those Marbles Saftey knives. It was quite a handful. I saw the knife several different times, a knife dealer had it down at the Webster Flea Market that Scott frequents. If I remember correctly, he was asking over $600 for it.
While I was typing this post, it has started raining. Praise the Lord! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Nice catch J.O.! I love these old Marbles "safety hunting knives" too and can't pass up a redeemable one. I think yours might be the larger, 5" blade model. Mine are all the 4 1/2" model, and I'm always on the lookout for one of the 5" ones. The 3 I have now all had issues when I got them and I'll let you guess which one was missing the stag on one side.
Attachments
DSCN9299.JPG
DSCN9300.JPG
DSCN9301.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Herb. It's the 5" blade. Was there a sheath for them? Can't remember ever seeing one.

(You're asking me to critique your work. A wild, unqualified guess, I'll take the top one for no reason).

You can see there's a small chunk of the edge missing on mine. I think a really careful welder could fill and dress that but, you know my penchant for leaving them alone. I'd worry about matching the alloy, or warping the thin edge. I'm very happy with it as is. I got it for much less than i see them priced on the web.

We're threatening another little show somewhere nearby. Would you and Red have any interest?
John.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

They came with a slip cover type sheath. I found the small version in an antique shop for the hefty price of $12 in really good condition with the slip cover. Last summer I found one that was stuck open. I can't remember what they had on it, but I think it was around $15 and when I went to buy it, the shop owner said he could do better on it and dropped the price. The blade was some short and after a little tinkering it opened up. The guard was a little bent but the scales were near perfect. I'll have to dig them out of the safe when I get some time for a picture.____Dave
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice group photo, Herb. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ridgegrass wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:46 pm Thanks Herb. It's the 5" blade. Was there a sheath for them? Can't remember ever seeing one.

(You're asking me to critique your work. A wild, unqualified guess, I'll take the top one for no reason).

You can see there's a small chunk of the edge missing on mine. I think a really careful welder could fill and dress that but, you know my penchant for leaving them alone. I'd worry about matching the alloy, or warping the thin edge. I'm very happy with it as is. I got it for much less than i see them priced on the web.

We're threatening another little show somewhere nearby. Would you and Red have any interest?
John.
J.O., a sheath came along with one of the "Safety folders" that I have, and I think it could be one that came with the knife. If you look at the last picture I'm adding now, it looks like there may have been something stamped on the sheath, (or maybe just wishful thinking on my part). :D
Attachments
DSCN9302.JPG
DSCN9303.JPG
DSCN9304.JPG
DSCN9305.JPG
DSCN9306.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
wlf
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by wlf »

Congrats John, it's good to still get excited about a pocket knife. :D

Herb, nice collection of a rare knife, I know what it's like to not get enough. :D Our buddy in Alexandria has a couple of those too.
I'd say definitely something stamped.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Lyle. I've been handling it all day, like some little kid. :wink:

Herb, Agree it looks stamped. The letters appear to be all the same size. Might not be the standard "MarbleS" style. ??? I like the pattern, might copy it for mine. John
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Here's the sheath I got with mine. Nothing is stamped on it._____Dave
Attachments
DSC02075.JPG
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

wlf wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 5:19 pm . . . Our buddy in Alexandria has a couple of those too. . .

Who is that guy? ::rotflol::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks DJ. Looks similar to the other one. ::tu:: J.O'.

Return to “Marble's Knife Collector's Forum”